Timeline of Marshlander History
“The soil made rich with the blood of the infidel, prosperity followed, and behind it, peace.”
We chronicle the history of the Serelskan Marshlands as recorded in Citadel records
Pre-History (mostly from ‘Red River’)
- The Mechera settle the coasts near the neck. They make contact with the ‘Seruli’, a term for a group tribes inhabiting what they called ‘Serelske’.
- Mechera establish trading cities in a vast network, bringing their culture to the Black Coast, Neck, and Marshlands.
- The Dalaci, a rivieran kingdom, wage war against the Mechera, and are subdued.
- The Ovech house of Levraan cross the Reach into Serelske
Ancient History (The ‘Age of Legends’)
- Levraan is unified with the 6 Ovech houses under Dagev, Qarach settlement begins
- The Qarach king Levraan takes a Dalacian wife, founds the kingdom of Laravaq
- Rutherci and Dalaci tribes ally with Laravaq against the Mechera. After a long war, peace is established at the lake known as Hadur’s Heart
- The Halraavi Ovech migrate to the neck. A war with Laravaq is fought over a single wedding dowry, with a Daqauri victory.
- The Mechera expand to the north, coming into conflict with Faeric colonists.
- Uth, Calachi, Seruli, and Sunotti tribes are subdued. Their interactions with the Mechera and later development are the ethnogenesis of the ‘Marshlander’ peoples.
- In the steppe, the Czerekoi, Mokhi and Rutherci ally – forming the Moqolese state.
- The Czerekoi ravage the Neck and Serelske, forcing the Mechera to flee across the sea to their homeland.
- Marshlanders assert their independence, and occupy the lands the Czerekoi evacuated. Zeroll gets its current name, from the Mechera polis of Serros.
- Due to Moqolese pressure, the Daqauri accept annexation by Laravaq, as chronicled in ‘The Bear and the Ox’
- Tarsa maintains peaceful relations with the Mechera, until a series of proxy-wars involving Daqauri, Gilani, Maduitani, Shuci and Oberoni tribes. Moq is annexed.
- A complex series of wars involving the Tarsans and the various states in Serelske-Palonia-Moqol ensues, lasting over 500 years; resulting in clearer borders, and nominal Tarsan gains
- Tarsa invades Laravaq, who refuse to bend the knee. After victory, a Halraav cadet house, the Mukhranuri (Gurani), is given governorship of Serelskan Ovech territories for the Tarsans. The Tarsans advance north, with little resistance until the Dragonmen kingdoms, under the famed Oberoni general ‘Hastapharnas’
- Relative peace until the collapse of Tarsa. Afterwards, Czerekoi, Shuci, Aramagi and Uth found successor states in the area.
- The Seruli are driven from Zeroll by a Daqauri-Shuci alliance, but their name remains. It eventually comes to refer to all natives of the area.
- Mechera city-states form the first merchant republics, and slowly regain freedom from the various invaders.
- The House of Barghvash rises from relative obscurity on the fringes of Serelske and restores the kingdom of Laravaq, calling it Qaraxuro, and founding their capital near Rao-Galli
- The Mukhranuri are displaced by Mechera-Czerekoi raiders, and the southern Ovech states fall into a period of chaos. Daqaur and Czer become regional powers in its stead.
- Qaraxuro expands rapidly and enjoys a period of prosperity and progress, due to Tarsanate technology, the Gold Road’s establishment, and the beginning of the second Svalek unification. This period is contemporary with a cultural renaissance in Svalos; the second golden age.
- Barghvash wages a series of largely fruitless wars against the Mechera city-states
- The Magosi Archonate topples the Mechera kingdoms, and the Barghvash swear loyalty to them. Shortly after, the Svalek kingdoms fall for the first time. The Ovech and Mechera remain powerful parties in the Archonate, both culturally and politically.
- Uth-Barghvashi wars
- The House of Levraan rebels against the Archonate, ending in a stalemate. The Reachland Qarach are granted autonomy.
- Dragonmen kingdoms of Halwynn and Acornshire are subdued by Qarach-Archonate armies led by Bagrapharn of Gil-Guran.
- Archonate holdings in Belk are sacked by Neth, spreading their military thin
- Nels begins his exalted march in the Reach, reducing the once-great Levraan to their cadet holdings in Qaraxuro
Fall of the Twin Crowns
- By ~800, the Reach is pacified, and Nels marches on Tarsa; with limited success due to his own death. Serelske offers limited resistance. Upon his death, the Archonate-Nylhus border is made in northwest Serelske.
- 816: Eirik declares his conquest of Serelske and topples its kingdoms swiftly. Historians have many theories on this, from Ovech in-fighting (Daqaur-Levraan-Gurani-Abshur-Xuragha) to Archonate indifference, Nyllist strategic brilliance, Czerekoi raids, and more. Little is known about this era, as most history ceased to be written during the time, save for the northern chronicles.
- 830s – First Ovech Revolt: Torch-Bearer Geir murdered by his Svalek bodyguards.
- 840s: Xuraghan conquer Guran, deposing the Mukhranuri.
- By 870, Serelske is incorporated into the Northern dominions politically, though culturally it would take another century at least
Dragonman Intermezzo. Fall of Dashtavard
- Northern rule collapses in civil war. Dragonman warlords take control of the Riverlands and Serelske
- Abshur-supported rebellion of 896 ends with the exile of the Qalavrian ovech lords. At the height of the rebellion, the rebels capture Zeroll. The Xuraghan ally with the Dragonmen to defeat them.
- Xuraghan-Czerekoi alliance of 910 ends the last of the Shoxrani resistance in Serelske – the remnants flee to Daqaur. Xuraghani usurp Kauzqaro and convert to Nylism. However they rebel in 955 in favor of native rule.
- Most converted tribes (Seruli, Aramagi, etc.) are incorporated into the Serelskan culture. Only some Ovech and Mechera (having external, free kingdoms) remain largely unchanged.
The Rebellion of 962
- Vrej Halraav, a mercenary for the Dragonmen, revolts, taking 25 years to put down
- Riverlanders take back control of Serelske and pacify the revolt, after the Xuraghan prince Azhod aids them; the dragonmen kings recieve aid from the Riveria and push the riverlanders out
- Legal persecution of Ovech is increased; the great purge of the marshlands – all Ovech aristocracy save the Barghvash, are eliminated – the latter being spared due to the intervention of the young Brendan
Rise of the Anthoriel
- Anthoriel topple the weakened Archonate, seek to regain the old Archonate lands
- First Moqolese war – Moqol gains land up to Zeroll
- Many Mechera, Mechista and other houses, ally under the Brendenberg banner and push away dragonmen suzerainty
- The native Lugus dynasty rebels in Horn Hill; aided by Gurani troops and Riverlanders, overthrow Dragonmen; the Petzchau protectorate is established
- Marshlander culture flourishes under its new patrons; in the North, the Claudius family re-forges the kingdom of Amanne
Under House Lugus
- Xuraghani, while powerful at first, lose favor in the increasingly Nyllist Lugus court, and are murdered after protesting the imprisonment of Rodrigo ‘El Mabilani’ – a prominent general, considered pro-Ovech
- After a riverlander governor fails to effectively pacify the southern marches, an invasion of Daqaur is ordered; the Daqauri submit and aid the Lugus against the Moqolese – however during the battle of Horn Hill, the Mechera troops defect to the Moqolese side, and land up until Zeroll fall under Moqolese dominion.
- Pontreas dynasty is founded in Ceres by Seruli settlers; land is granted to them for their work in the pacification of Daqaur
- Second Moqolese War: Amanne aids Lugus against Moqol; ends in Northern Annexation of the Lugus kingdom and the borders with Moqol drawn; the Eternal Peace is signed; Paulto and Uster incorporated into Amanne, but in practice retain Moqolese alignment