States and Empires
“Empires dawn at the dusk of others”
- Umberg Dzhona, second Laynne Herzog of Kha, in Ibd Saaqerza’s Song of the Falcon
Aside from ethnic and national divisions, governments and dynasties carve up the land in a dynamic fashion. Over history, most lands have belonged to a number of empires, and dynasties within them. Here we list historical and current empires, as well as kingdoms, duchies, city-states and republics.
Current or Recent States
Here we provide a comprehensive list of current significant sovereign states, or those that existed within the last century. We segregate them by geography. If knowledge is wished of this level of detail with historical states, in-game rolls will be needed. For flags and symbols, see Symbolism.
- Kingdom of Amanne, ruling the Northlands, Coastlands, Marshlands, Riverlands, Riviera, Wyrmlands up to Vaith, the Western Marches and parts of the Reach. Capital is Ralan.
- Empire of Moqol, ruling the Red Plains, Black Coast, Gold Coast, Brakenvald, parts of the Reach, Svalos, Naronar, Olvara, Uscar(Euscar), Oscotia, Kha, Belk, Southern Hills, Old Moq and the Nethmarks. Capital is Moq. It should be noted that Svalos and Naronar are self-governing “Kraldoms”.
- Oltec Empire, ruling all of Olteca.
- Salanese Empire, ruling the various Salanese Islands.
- Faeric Confederacy, ruling the Faeric Isles and apparently parts of northern Ursk.
- Llek Confederacy, a large dragonman and faeric tribal confederation far to the north. Capital is Vaith.
- Confederation of Northern Baronial States, a large group of independant and remote fiefs in the Wyrmlands and Mistlands.
- Second Mistlander State, ruling the Mistlands and Saltshore, as well as significant portions of the Riviera, Northlands and Wyrmlands. Capital is Mistwood, although the Nylfjords are the de-facto capital.
- Grand Duchy of Korhold, ruling Greenvale and much of the western Reach. Capital is Korhold City.
- Despotate of Phyrra, ruling Stoneman Isle and the Frostfall Islands, with the exception of Hollenoake.
- House of Draxis, listed due to significant autonomy and influence. Capital is New Olvos.
- Kraldate of Svalos, a vassal of Moqol
- Etz-Herzogate of Naronar, a vassal of Moqol
- Principality of Belk, recently conquered by Naronar, although its southern lands are still functionally free.
- United Reachlander Front, a loose union of baronies and earldoms in the Reach, Korhold, and the Riverlands, with the goal of overthrowing Draxis rule in the Reach. Considered a separatist state by Korhold, and Vassal by Amanne.
Includes city-states and functionally independent vassals of larger entities.
- Hef’lek, a remote but historically important free city.
- Republic of Blackwood, although a free city-state, pays fealty to Mistwood. Controls various islands in the Mistlands, as well as Hollenoake.
- Free City of Greenvale, a free city under Flint control. Lost lands to the URF.
- Acornshire, a free city and Earldom in the Reach.
- Alewyn, a free city in the Riverlands, under Khorish military control.
- Cervi, seat of the Netrala. Technically a northern Vassal, but in reality a free state.
- Republic of Bec, a free city with loose control over a number of peasant republics in the area.
- Blackrock Ambassadorial Zone, a Moqolese satellite state in the Marshlands, controlling Nornberk. Owes fealty to the crown of Amanne directly.
- Uster, a Marshlander free city under loose Boveta control.
- Treitz, a Marshlander free city under Gelf control.
- Itabo, a communal township in the northern Marshlands.
- Most baronies in the Reach
- Bressla, a former Kingdom in the Reach, owing fealty to the Riverlands
- Cabal of the Glass Eye, an scholastic order with military protection from the Oltec Empire, located in the Western Marches province of Amanne.
Chronology of Empires
If a History(World) skill of IQ+2 is acquired, parts of this section will be uncovered.